January 5th, 2012

Captain William S. Humphrey

image provided by Monhegan Museum

Mail Service was first established as early as 1858, the postmaster was Moses Starling who made weekly trips to Port Clyde and delivered the mail from his kitchen table, James Trefethren succeeded him but the post office was apparently closed in the 1870’s and not reopened until 1883. Captain William S. Humphrey ran the mail from 1883 through the 1890’s.

Dori by Alison Hill

Love this painting because it features Dori, who is supplying the amazing new images of Monhegan on this site and it is painted by Alison Hill, this January’s featured artist. See more of Alison’s artwork on her website www.alisonhill.net