The May Archer

photo provided by the Monhegan Museum

The mailboat inevitably became the passenger ferry as well and in 1907, Captain Isaac E. Archibald used his 80 foot steamer, The May Archer to transport building supplies for the Island Inn, a new wharf was built by the next year and freight, mail and passenger service from Thomaston to Monhegan to Boothbay and back via Monhegan followed.